Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It takes a Village...to grow a baby

So you're gonna have a baby...

Having a baby is a unique experience for each family and individual.  Some people plan every aspect from conception to possible universities their child will attend.  Others, not so much.  I had always thought that someday I might have kids, but had never really planned when.  So when I found out I was pregnant, there was a certain period of adjustment that I had to go through in order to get used to the idea of "someday" coming so soon.  Although my pregnancy was unplanned, it was not unwanted.  I decided right away that if I was going to welcome a child into my life I would make it a positive experience from the start.  I also decided that I would make the most of my last nine months of baby-free life.  I would visit friends, go to festivals and parties, and treat myself to delicious, healthy food to nourish my body and the little life it was growing.  It was great!  I was lucky to have an easy pregnancy which made all of these things possible.  My belly was like having a special V.I.P. pass.  People offered me seats, insisted I move ahead of them in line ups, brought me food and drinks, and were eager to share well wishes and pass on love for the baby.  I know some people prefer to maintain a certain bubble of personal space around them through pregnancy, and this should be respected.  However, if you are open to recieving attention (sometimes of the hands on variety) from friends and even strangers, go for it.  For me, the positive encouragement I recieved helped me get more excited about welcoming the baby.  And honestly, I think Hannah felt all the love that was passed onto her in utero because she was such a gentle mellow soul when she arrived.  I believe children don't just belong to their immediate family.  There's the old saying, "It takes a village to raise a child."  All of us, the greater human family, play a part in each others lives.  If you are lucky enough to be in the role of a mother or a father you have the special task of caring for, and guiding a new soul to find their own place in the world.  Of course you should respect parents and their wishes for their children, but as parents, we should recognize the important role others play in our children's lives.  And this role can begin before a child is born by welcoming the sharing of love and positive energy from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment