Friday, March 4, 2011

Carrying your baby

The thing about babies is...they can't walk.  At least not right away.  This means all the upwardly mobile people in the baby's life will be providing them with transportation.  I'm not opposed to strollers, I just knew that for me, carrying Hannah would be much easier.

While I was pregnant I read a great book that I highly recommend (even if you aren't pregnant or planning on having kids) called "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff.  Liedloff is an advocate of attachment parenting and through her studies arrived at the theory that when a baby is born it has certain expectations based on how we have evolved as a species.  One of these "expectations" is that it will be carried by its primary caregivers.  Strollers and fancy baby carriers and baby "gear" in general, haven't been around for all that long.  For thousands of years, mothers have been carrying babies.  Carrying your baby allows you to experience a closeness with them that you won't have if they are out of reach.   In my experience, there are lots of benefits to baby carrying.

Where Jean Liedloff enthusiasts may reccommend carrying your baby "in arms", there are lots of different baby carriers that allow you to keep baby close and have your hands free.  A few friends of mine reccommended the Ergo Baby Carrier (http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/) to me and although it was one of the more expensive options, it has been well worth it!  My mom and my aunt bought it for me and I recieved it about a week after Hannah was born.  Hannah was one of those little babies who didn't like to be put down.  She always wanted to be held and I was starting to get frustrated that I wasn't able to get anything done cause every time I put the baby down she would get upset.  Well, who can blame them really?  They don't know what's going on!  When you put the baby down they don't know you're coming back.  Plus, they have so much to learn, what better way than watching mama go about her day, safely nestled up against her.  Being able to carry Hannah around with me as I made dinner or washed laundry, or went on a walk made life flow very nicely.  We'd talk about the veggies as I cut them, and she'd quietly stare up at me...lovely times.  When she got tired she would lay her head against my chest and sleep.  I found that going out, whether it was to a party or grocery shopping, Hannah was often the most calm, at home baby when she was in her carrier.  The other moms in the grocery store would be trying to push shopping carts or bulky strollers down the isles with crying babies and Hannah and I would glide right through.  And again, when she got tired, she could just take a little nap.  When she got a bit bigger I was able to nurse her in the carrier as well.  This was great for periods where we had trouble napping.  I would take her for a walk and nurse her to sleep and bring her home and put her to bed.

Of course not all babies will like being carried.  Do what is right for you and your baby.  Also, try different styles of carriers.  I tried a sling first and neither Hannah nor I were comfortable using it.  I also think that if you use a carrier earlier on it helps so the baby gets comfortable and feels safe and secure in it.  Try using it for short periods around the house first.  The more practice you and the baby get with it the better.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment