Sunday, December 18, 2011

Celebrations...

Since becoming a mama, I have thought a lot about the traditions I want to pass along to Hannah.  After moving out of my parents house I didn't really do much to mark the passing of the seasons or the various holidays mainstream North America chooses to celebrate.  I don't consider myself a Christian, or a member of any particular faith really.  It seems to me that most of the "Christian" holidays we celebrate have become fairly removed from their original meanings anyway.  If I am going to celebrate something, I want it to have a purpose.  I want it to have meaning.  I do not want to celebrate consumerism and capitalism.  I don't want to feel pressured into buying things or giving things to show people I care about them.  But I would like to celebrate some things.  I would like to pass along traditions to the next generation.  One thing I would like to do is recognize the winter solstice.  Light returning is a good thing.  I attended a solstice celebration a few years back at a friends place.  We gathered for a pot luck and then walked a candle lit labrynth.  Everyone wrote down things they wanted to bring into their lives with the returning light, and also things they wanted to let go of.  Then we had a bonfire and those who wanted, put their papers into the fire.  It was a really simple, yet meaningful way to mark the day.  We sang and shared each others company, ate good food and set intentions.  This year we are in the middle of moving so the holidays have sort of been put on the back burner.  However, I intend to mark the solstice, even if it is only me, Hannah and a small fire.      

1 comment: