Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cozy baby feet...naturally!

I recently made a pair of sweet little felted alpaca baby booties.  They are so soft and warm I wish I had a giant bootie to crawl into and hibernate!  The soles are made with sheepskin scraps my mom picked up for me on a trip a while back.  The felted alpaca wool comes from some friends in St. Catharines who have a small family farm.  Alpaca fibers are hollow I'm told, making them extra warm.  Wool helps to regulate baby's temperature and wicks away moisture so feet stay dry and cozy.  Soft soled baby shoes help with natural walking development and healthy foot growth.  Seems to me, when it comes to baby footware, the choice is natural!

The design for these is really simple and they can be made with felt for the bottoms too.  I just cut out 4 sides and 2 bottoms and blaket stitched them all together.  With the seams all on the outside, they should be extra comfy on sensitive little feet.  There are tons of other great, all natural, wool baby booties on Etsy (my fave handmade site online).  Here are a few others I thought were pretty cute!





No comments:

Post a Comment